The FGX730SC is the acoustic-electric version of the FG730S. Features inherited from the L Series, such as non scalloped X bracing and a reverse L block neck attachment, make it an instrument of high quality. Equipped with an A.R.T. 1-way pickup system (System 56), it delivers a clear, bright tone, typical of FG guitars, and performs just as well whether playing accompaniment or lead. Onboard electronics that include a 3-band equalizer with an adjustable mid-range frequency and a tuner make it a perfect instrument for performing live.
Got this to look at but had no idea what the fault was, or if there even was one.
Straight off, the thinnest string is missing and so was it’s Bridge-Pin. Also, more importantly was that the 9V battery box had a very acid corroded terminal, so bought a new box from Andertons.co.uk…
On swapping out the box, I was then able to test if the guitar O/P to the amplifier worked or not – it didn’t!!
Further investigation showed that the guitar has a preamp module and 2 under-side ‘contact’ pickups.
On hooking a scope up to the pickups I was able to get a rising signal from each string approaching 100mV, so my assumption is that the pick-ups are ok.
After connection the guitar amp’s 1/4″ jack (this when inserted turns on the amp) to the guitar O/P, the scope signal was quite flat with no change from any strings. This was tried with a brand new tested 9V battery, so my assumption ?? is that the pre-amp is faulty.
The pre-amp is labelled model: AB1CBL, but a google search shows it is as similar to a ‘Yamaha WG320100’.
A new one from Australia (all I could find) is approx. $170…
Ebay though have very similar & cheap ones , although the physical size may be different, as is the I/P’s & O/P’s, but may be worth the risk…
search : ‘4-Bands Acoustic Folk Guitar Preamp EQ Equalizer Piezo Pickup with Tuner‘…
These have a plug-in battery box and a saddle fitted piezo transducer with a smallish mono jack.
UPDATE – have ordered the preamp from Ebay @ £14.14.
AND, if the preamp repair does work, it will still need new strings, new Bridge pins and maybe a new ivory saddle to sit in the bridge as a bit had broken off – although a bit super glue may do. I will tape the broken bit to the guitar.
If I end up having to get it repaired professionally, try ‘Harris’ at DM Studios in Dundee (he is often in late 5-10pm).
Visit to Evelyn’s to help with WiFi.
Router was not ltting phone connect/get an IP. Disconnected the phoen from router and reconnected given the router password again. OK Now. Power cycled phone and still .
She also had a problem with logging on to OneDrive on her Kindle (Fire ??). I reset teh Onedrive password and would still not conenct, saying that the device was not connedt to WiFi /Network. AFter googling seems to be common problem on Kindle and Microsoft were to fix. Shall leave 2-3 weeks then google again and maybe go up to Evelyns to have another go.
Also, a problem with Facebook on her Windows phone – was insatlled and opened up ,but has not updated since June this year. App had no wasy to log here off, in fact no settings at all. May have to take a tablet and try to reset her Facebook pwrod online – note that this will cause a connection problem on her Kindle too.
David had said that his games were failing – all running slow. I stopped in after work and disabled the On-board Gfx card. He also had to change a setting in a game ‘settings’ file back to the way it was previously, as he had made a change to try and force the game to use the NVidia card – which obviously did not work.
Anyhow, all was well on leaving with a high frame rate and no jerking.
David had asked me to reinstall Windows on his slowing pc.
!st off was to clean the dust – the side cover had been left off and I have never seen so much dust inside the boys PC cases. I had to remove from cover, open the psu remove the GFX cards cover housing the heatsink next to a fan.
Once all cleaned I managed to put on a back dated February 2015. I wasn’t sure if it was for that pc or his older build. Anyhow, it went on fine once I had copied from QNAP NAS to USB drive and used Acronis 2011, but I had to download and install an NVidia gamer application that would download and install the correct driver.
Updated appz like CCleaner, Teamviewer etc, and installed the newest PC Back software I am using called AOMEI Backupper. Let windows do some updates, then backuped up to QNAP NAS.
There was a slight clicking noise, too slow to be a fan. Most likely to be the water pump in the water cooled CPU cooler system. He will just need to monitor temperature and watch for it getting worse and replace at that time.
Late note: Will need to remove Acronis backup at his home as some services are still running.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 31 °C, Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
MSI Z97 GAMING 3 (MS-7918) (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
BenQ G2410HD (1920×1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (NVIDIA) 28 °C
ForceWare version: 398.82
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER166 ATA Device (SATA ) 19 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DX001-1NS164 ATA Device (SATA ) 26 °C
ATAPI iHAS124 E ATA Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 22/02/2015 18:31:42
Serial Number: 86BDP-MV2VY-8YJMQ-4HVFM-FXC9G